Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Big News!

It's a Christmas miracle! (And no, I'm not pregnant.) Snow is actually falling in Las Vegas!!! None of those little snow flurries; we're talking serious, stick to the ground, Utah-style snow. They are saying that it hasn't snowed like this since 1979, so this is definitely a rare occurrence. We had to take some pictures of this historic occasion. I mean, how often do you see a palm tree with snow on it? There is at least 4 inches outside our house and it is still coming down. We have noticed that the trees are pretty wimpy when it comes to handling the snow...many of them are drooping all the way to the ground with the weight of it.

Seth here, and I have to add a small rant to this post. Not because of the super crazy snowfall in Vegas (I actually think it's kinda cool), but because of the freakin' Las Vegas-ites that can't drive in it. I work 5 miles away from home, takes about 10 minutes to get to work. On the worst day it takes MAYBE 15-20 minutes. . . . or so I thought. I got out of work early to start driving home, and left around 4:22pm. It took me an hour to get home!!! And I don't mean that metaphorical hour that is an over-exagerated expression meaning it took a long time. I didn't get home till 5:29pm!!!!!!!!!! I mean c'mon people, it's just snow! I know you're probably thinking, "well there must have been some accident taking up all the lanes in the road." You'd think. . . . but you'd be wrong. I didn't see one accident, not one single flashing light the whole way! There was actually a time while sitting at a red light where I started to nod off. I was freakin' falling asleep people!!! Ok, that felt good. Back to Linz . . .

So besides the crazy drivers, the snow really gets us excited to celebrate Christmas in Utah with our families (let's just hope it isn't snowing when we have to drive home).

side note: Seth wants to send these pictures to Al Gore and ask him "What's global warming about this?"

4 comments:

Kelly said...

In all fairness, Seth...Like, there are no snowplows in this valley or anything. And if you have rear wheel drive, you are screwed. My friend drove home from my house to the back of the Anthem loop and it took her 2 hours. It usually takes 20 minutes. There were Mercedes and BMW's stuck on the hill because they couldn't get up it. Just be glad you weren't her (with 4 kids, I might add).

Gonzalez said...

Awesome!!! Maybe the snow will tempt Santa to try to find someone on the nice list in Sin City?

The Hawkins said...

I will have to say that people who have lived in Utah their whole life still cannot drive in the snow. It amazes me everytime I go to the store just how dumb people are. Parking is the thing that drives me crazy. Just because you can't see the lines does not mean you have to park 5 feet away from the car next to you and 2 feet further up.

Jenna said...

Wasn't that so crazy!!!! Fun but too cold for this desert rat!