Monday, June 16, 2008

Friday the 13th

We've never been the superstitious type, but we had a bit of bad luck on Friday the 13th...We were on our way to Utah to my brother's homecoming, about an hour out of LV when all of the sudden we heard this loud pop, followed by a dull throbbing sound, and saw bits of tire flinging all over the road. Before I go any further, let me just say that 1) we were driving Seth's car; 2) His car hasn't traveled long-distance for a couple years; 3) I told him before we left that we would probably have a tire blowout...and last but not least (Seth: In my defense, #2 and 3 are the reasons why I thought we were going to take Linz's car to Utah, not mine.) 4) I'm rarely, if ever wrong! (Seth: That part is true.)

The tread ripped right off of our tire as we were traveling 80 MPH on the freeway! We successfully pulled off to the shoulder where we got out to observe the damage. Surprisingly, we were both in a rather chipper mood considering the circumstance. We thought it was more funny than anything.

Seth: Get this, I get the car jacked all the way up, start taking off the lug nuts, and suddenly the car rolls forward a bit and kicks the jack out from under the car. (OOOOOOOH FUUUUUUUUUUDGE!) My jack takes for ever to move, so I had to start all over again. We were laughing and joking around by the side of the road the whole time, and decided to take the time to get a few good shots on camera for the blog.




We (I say "we" but I really didn't help with much) got the donut put on (I think they look so silly) and started on our way, going now 50 MPH instead of 80...as you can imagine, it's pretty freaky having semi trucks pass by you like you are standing still! Since Seth's hands had grease all over them, he wore an old golf glove that he found in his trunk--I thought it was funny so I had to take a picture of that too!







We ended up staying in Mesquite overnight and getting new tires in the morning...(That's another story--2 hours at Wal-mart for 2 new tires changed out by someone who should have been a greeter, not working in the tire center--he had to be like 80 years old!)

Anyway, we finally made it to my house where my whole family was together for the first time in 2 years. It was a great Father's Day! Aaron gave an awesome talk where he shared many of his experiences as a missionary, my dad shared his testimony, we had homemade Cafe Rio chicken salad courtesy of my very talented mother, and had a good time visiting with extended family. It was a short trip and we probably spent more time traveling than we actually spent there, but...what can you do?



Anything exciting happen to anyone else on Friday the 13th?

6 comments:

The Hawkins said...

Mrs and Mr. Dr Gonzalez! I think that sounds good. Congrats on the flat tire and graduation. I can honestly say having a flat tire could be near divorce for us. It has happened once. 2 years ago and we are still trying to figure out how to sleep in the same bed.

SarahC said...

You're lucky your car didn't fishtail on the road! That is one of my biggest fears is blowing a tire on the freeway going really fast. I'm glad it all worked out!

Sarah

Christensen's said...

Sounds like quite the experience. I worry about that happening to me because our car totally needs new tires. We haven't wanted to get new ones though because they would cost as much as the car! Sounds like you two are still having fun together!

MIMI n' LINCOLN RULE!! said...

S-n-L, you guys had quite the experience driving up to UT. I hope Seth will listen to you better after what happened on Friday the 13th. :)

I'm glad though that you guys took time to take pictures about this incident and was able to laugh about it!!

Romney Family said...

Loved that Seth wore the gloves. Sounds like you two had quite the time. I can't believe how grown up your family is. I was talking to my little sister Val, and she said she went out with your little brother. I thought that that was crazy, mostly because their old enough to date. Anyway, we are going to be in Utah in a week. Is there any chance we will be able to see you guys?

Board Game Lovers said...

It's not fun feeling left out, but believe me, no one wants to come visit me to see my dogs. But at least you guys have such fun adventures to write about! I don't really do anything...am I boring?